Name: OMTLAB Ltd. Date founded: 2014 Number of employees: 10 Location: Budapest, Hungary Real-time indoor positioning platform for industry4.0 applications and advanced analytics. www.sunstone-rtls.com
Innovation Management Partner:
Integration of wearable sensors and a real-time localization system for Industry4.0 applications
We at SUNSTONE-RTLS have developed our unique indoor positioning platform. We focus on the manufacturing and logistics industry. Based on the feedback of our customers we foresee a huge market potential in wearable sensors combined with a high accuracy indoor positioning system. Though personnel tracking is not welcome in general, in case of safety and security oriented applications it has a great potential. These use cases range from work in hazardous environments to disabled operators in logistics or manufacturing and human-machine cooperation.
In the frame of this proposed experiment we intend to develop our RTLS-enabled wearable devices based on the WeSu platform. We will incorporate the platform’s kinetic sensors to enhance tracking accuracy and to provide fall detection. We will integrate customized environmental sensors (e.g. gas, temperature and radiation) to the WeSu platform so that we can provide safety wearable sensors in the chemical and pharmaceutical industry.
We heard about FED4SAE from BME, the Hungarian advanced technology and networking partner. We have been consulting with them during the preparation of the proposal. We think that the support is a big opportunity for our company to cooperate with ST in order to extend our sensor solutions. We are looking forward to technical support from them in order to optimize our wearable product.
In the frame of the application experiment we were able to create a new prototype hardware: the wearable Sunstone Tag. This new device equipped with cheap sensors and the new software features of Sunstone RTLS is helping us to develop new solutions based on personnel tracking.
In addition, during business case identification we have found that activity classification is a wide spread need in the field of intralogistics planning and operations. This and the new era of COVID secure manufacturing and logistics validates our personnel tracking solution.
As key results, we can highlight:
- Prototype wearable tag with the following features:
- High sample rate acceleration detection
- Pressure sensor for altitude measurement
- Humidity sensor
- Precise temperature sensor
- Bluetooth LE hub for integrating 3rd party sensors
- Compact form factor, ideal for placement on safety helmet
- Sunstone RTLS software features for handling high sample rate time series sensor data
- Fall detection algorithm implementation in tag firmware
- Activity characterization algorithm development and implementation in tag firmware
- Evaluation of algorithms in a metal manufacturing plant
In the future, we plan to enhance the activity classification feature of the tag with on-board machine learning hardware and algorithm teaching features of the Sunstone software suite.
Human tracking will be used only for safety and security applications, for example in case of collision avoidance, panic signaling, work in hazardous environment or the support of disabled operators.
Target customers are factories, warehouses and logistics centers carrying a wide range of applications under one roof from small automated trolley carts to heavy duty forklifts. Their business model focuses on resource and time efficient and reliable manufacturing and warehousing processes. These companies can benefit from:
- Production efficiency: precise and reliable position tracking of personnel and machines is the basis of collision avoidance that enhance human-machine cooperation on the shop floor and in warehouses
- Safety issues:
- human-machine coexistence
- fall detection, panic button and other alerts based on wearable kinetic sensors
- improved response time to emergencies
- automated keep-out zone detection and alarm signaling for operators
- improved control of mass site evacuation.